Steps to Take After a Slip & Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents often go unacknowledged or addressed until it is too late. It is important to know what steps to take immediatey following an accident, particularly if you are not at fault. Homes, walkways, parking lots and public buildings are required to be maintained in order to provide safe traveling for visitors. Premises liability means that you could be entitled to compensation if you were seriously hurt on someone else’s property. If you slipped, tripped or fell due to an owner’s negligence, money may be awarded to you for your medical bills, loss of wages, pain and suffering. After such incident, the following five steps should be taken in order for an attorney to prepare and build the best possible legal case for you:
- Seek Medical Treatment – The priority following a slip, trip and fall accident is your health, of course. See a doctor immediately so that you are properly treated and so that your injuries are documented.
- Report the Accident – Regardless of the location of your accident, make certain that you report it to the owner, manager or landlord. In addition, ask them to make a written report as well, and request a copy.
- Document Everything – Collect identifying information from all witnesses. Take a photo of the precise location and, if possible, any conditions that contributed to your accident. Store clothing worn at the time in a safe location for future reference.
- Decline to Give Statements – Limit your conversation with the manager or owner. Do not place or take blame. Do not post details on social media. Above all, do not speak to the insurance company.
- Call an Attorney – If legal action is considered, you will be best served by an experienced attorney. Slip, trip and fall accidents are often difficult to prove. The complexities of these cases call for the resources of a successful law firm.