I had a minor accident at work. Do I have to report it to my employer?
While your accident may not seem to be a big deal, you are required to give notice to your manager/employer as soon as possible. If you do not give notice to your employer, then you may find that you are unable to file for workers’ compensation.
While your injury may seem minor at first, you cannot know how your injuries will progress. Many injuries, develop over time.
Under Kentucky law, employers are required to offer workers’ compensation. The applicable law, found in the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 342.020, states, in part, that, “the employer shall pay for the cure and relief from the effects of an injury or occupational disease the medical, surgical, and hospital treatment, including nursing, medical, and surgical supplies and appliances, as may reasonably be required at the time of the injury and thereafter for the length of time set forth in this section, or as may be required for the cure and treatment of an occupational disease.”
If you are interested in what other provisions are encoded in the KRS in relation to work accidents, you may find more information here.
Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:
- 5 Tips If You Have Been in a Car Accident
- Can I get workers’ compensation benefits from an employer that does not have workers’ compensation insurance?
- Do Kentucky employers have to offer workers’ compensation to an injured employee?
- Does my employer have workers’ compensation? Does every company have to have it?
- How do I get on-the-job after my accident?
- I am going to be off work for at least two months. How much workers’ compensation will I get?
- I had a minor accident at work. Do I have to report it to my employer?
- Is there any segment of the working population that is not covered by the Kentucky workers’ compensation law?
- What happens if an employer does not offer workers’ compensation?
- What happens if the workers’ compensation carrier is inconsistent and does not pay my benefits on time?
- What injuries are covered by the Kentucky workers’ compensation law?
- What medical costs does workers’ compensation cover?
- Who is covered by Kentucky’s workers’ compensation?
Marty fought for me when the insurance company denied my claim. We sued and got the insurance limits.