Do Kentucky motorcyclists have to have insurance?
In Kentucky, all drivers must have minimal personal injury protection (PIP) insurance –this does not include bikers, as motorcycle insurance policies do not have to include PIP. Personal injury protection helps to cover medical costs, no matter who caused the wreck, so having PIP is a smart idea.
Even though a biker is not required to have PIP, not having it may result in not enough financial protection. Being in an accident is traumatic, not to mention expensive and if you do not have enough protection to cover your medical bills, this could be a big problem.
Motorcyclists must purchase liability insurance for their motorcycle. Liability insurance will help pay for property damage or bodily injuries in case of an accident. The insurance policy must include the following minimum coverage limits per accident:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person.
- $50,000 for total bodily injury if multiple people are hurt in the accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
Motorcycle riders without PIP cannot collect the basic $10,000 coverage from any PIP plan, even if the accident was the other driver’s fault. If a motorcyclist does not have PIP coverage, their health insurance might pay medical bills.
You may want to consider obtaining PIP and liability coverage for your own safety and peace of mind. Collision coverage takes care of repairs. Comprehensive handles most non-accident-related damages. Medical payment coverage pays for medical bills for your injuries. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is a good option because despite the laws stating all drivers must have at least the minimum coverage for an accident, some people do not have insurance.
Other Motorcycle Accident FAQs:
- Are motorcycle crashes considered different than accidents involving two cars?
- Do I have to have UN/UIM coverage on my motorcycle?
- Do I need a motorcycle accident lawyer?
- Do Kentucky motorcyclists have to have insurance?
- How long does a motorcycle accident case take?
- How long does a motorcycle insurance claim take?
- I was in a motorcycle accident will PIP pay for my bills and lost wages?
- I was in a motorcycle hit-and-run accident, what are my options?
Marty fought for me when the insurance company denied my claim. We sued and got the insurance limits.